Lifestream Home Lifestream Blog The God Journey (podcast) Finding Church Contact Wayne's Books

Chapter 14: Questions

If you have question for Wayne, or would like to suggest a topic for the group in discussing this chapter, please post it here.

Wayne, did the early Jewish believers continue to go to temple after Jesus ascended to heaven? I know Jesus preached in the temple, and I know that early Christians met in the temple courtyard to discuss Jesus, but I wondered if they also felt the need to continue to go to synagogue meetings. I’m just curious, since it seems we humans have always looked for something systematized. Hmmmmmm…I wonder if Jesus and his disciples attended weekly synagogue meetings.
Thanks,
Bobbe

Bobbe,we don’t know for sure how often Jesus and his disciples were in the synagogue. It was part of their Jewish culture. Early on in his ministry going to the synagogue was his “custom”, but we don’t know if it held throughout. Transitioning out of Judaism seemed to take some time. Eight years after Pentecost the Jerusalem Christians still were excluding Gentiles, through they weren’t in Antioch. So all of this seemed to take some time and the New Testament doesn’t seem to focus on their synagogue attendance past a few incidences in the life of Jesus. Paul went there during this travels to first proclaim the Gospel, but was usually thrown out after a few weeks. They didn’t seem to miss it after that. And honestly, since synagogues were usually small collections of people they may have ben more gatherings of family and friends, rather than the rigid meetings we have today. I’m just not sure. There’s nothing wrong with getting together regularly. My family does it because we enjoy being together and I’m looking forward to it tomorrow for Easter. But we’re not going to have a meeting… :slight_smile: