Lifestream Home Lifestream Blog The God Journey (podcast) Finding Church Contact Wayne's Books

Chapter 15: Favorite Quotes

What in this chapter really resonated with your journey and why?

Here are some things that I liked:

He didn’t tell people what to do, but invited them into a kingdom in which love would negate the need for control.

Jesus seemed content to let people recognize truth when they heard it. If we give that designation away to our institutional processes we have embraced an allegiance that will confuse our fidelity to Christ.

I trust good-hearted people listening to Jesus more than I trust any hierarchy whose perspective is so easily skewed by the needs of their institution or the realities that let them hold on to power. The historic heresies have not arisen from simple people following Jesus, but from someone trying to gain a large following.

Lenny
Bailey, NC

“But doesn’t that mean everyone is free to do what’s right in his or her own eyes? Yes, that is the essence of our freedom in Christ, otherwise we’re no different that Israel rejecting God’s leadership by asking to have a king like all the other nations.”
"{Jesus’ words} expressed the core realities of the universe and resonated when people heard them…His words resounded with the authenticity of someone who truly believed them and lived them."
“Authority looks for the opening that allows light to shine into the darkness.”

It is challenging to live by the authority of Jesus. I am thankful for brothers and sisters I can be real with. I am thankful for Scripture. I am thankful that I am learning that no single one of us has it completely ‘right.’ We are on a journey, and on that journey, we grow and change. Jesus never changes, but we do, as we grow into knowing Him better and stumbling along with way.

–Bobbe

Real authority is recognised not demanded.

The story of the angry husband and father that follows this heading is a really great story that highlights when folk demanding authority. I could see myself saying almost the same to the leader of my first church which turned into a cult, little wonder, what we were taught was terribly wonky if I may use that language.
In my cult life you didn’t need to go far to find that authority was always demanded.
This this whole chapter really just spoke volumes to me and a lot of it it I wish I had known then not that I’m crying because God has taught me many valuable lessons. It’s just so enjoyable to read this book and discover what is really the truth especially when it’s showing how people demand authority, set up the hierarchy that they do and play with people’s lives.

If you have to demand authority, you don’t have it.

My next quote I feel is a massive part of what church life is what it’s really all about.

Real authority establishes the kingdom.
The authority of the church was never to manage our institutions or preserve sound doctrine, but to co-labour alongside Jesus as his prayer is answered: “Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” As powerful as community is between brothers and sisters and as much as he wants us to delight in growing, healthy relationships that share his life together, the fruit of that community is to extend the effective range of God’s will by walking alongside him in prayer and declaration of the power of the kingdom.

As I contemplate this paragraph I see a picture of a community all living, walking, talking and breathing the love of the God. After all if Father loves us enough to go to all the trouble of waiting and working to win my affections the way He so patiently does, sending His son, the Cross etc etc… what would a whole community look like all living under the effective range of God’s will? Wow!!
This scripture comes to mind as I move towards it finding this,
“Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matt 11:29-30 NIV)
or what I really love is this version,
“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” (Matt 11:28-30 MSG)

Ian
from Colnbrook near Heathrow UK.