Lifestream Home Lifestream Blog The God Journey (podcast) Finding Church Contact Wayne's Books

Chapter 17: Questions

If you have question for Wayne, or would like to suggest a topic for the group in discussing this chapter, please post it here.

I have wondered many times about this question. I suppose it has come back to the forefront after reading some of the latest comments on The God Journey’s last podcast and I felt I would love to know your opinion here on this.

Is it possible to become stuck after so much abuse that a person really can’t see through the mist, if I could call it that, and see God working in their lives? Have you ever heard of that before?

I ask this and give you a little insight here into where this comes from and how it rises itself in my situation.

I was in, what I have called an “abusive cult,” and remember many years back another who was in that same group said to me, I feel you are like a beached whale and unable to respond to God’s call.
At the time I felt that was true and to large extent took it onboard. It needless to say didn’t help but over the years I have come to know that was not totally true, yes there was so much that needed rewiring but I can see God has done a profound work in me and that importantly is on going. To mention a powerful moment, was when I was driving home from my old IC and feeling so disillusioned I felt Father say, "come away as I want to show you something."
That was the start of me coming away from organised religion and now walking daily working out my days with His help.

The other reason I ask and mainly why I place this here today as I feel I have placed a time scale on this transformation from that messed up way of thinking and think I should be in some form of relationship to other believers in my local area…
I also feel that this not necessarily what God thinks, I suppose, I need to ask it from someone else. Wow, it was only the other day I really think I woke up to the fact that I need to abandon my own agenda and take on His… as in Repent and Believe. Yup, I was thinking that it was say sorry for my sins and believe in God…
I don’t think it is clever to place any time scale on something when God is involved but is better to just leave it with Him and it’ll come to pass when it comes to pass… no use sweating it??
I do believe that God is bringing me back to abandoning my own agenda again to Him and this is an amazing side of Him showing me just how deep His work has gone and He now feels I can take on abounding myself into Him after being forced to abandon every part of myself before by force and brainwashing.
This time it’s through love…

Ian
from Colnbrook near Heathrow UK.

Hi Ian,

We all have our own journey in this process and we dare not face it with expectations or distort it with comparisons to others. Yes, being more entrenched religiously or being abused by that or in other ways by untrustworthy humans does seem to make the process a bit more involved for some people. But God’s arm has the capacity to find us wherever we are and walk us into his light and freedom. It takes time, though, and more because we don’t have flesh and blood examples living next door who can encourage us without trying to own us. My hope is that the next generation will have more people living nearby who can help and encourage others on this journey and help people put their depdence on Father rather than try to build ministries to themselves. Keep focused on that “Coming away, I want to show you something.” That’s real stuff. An invitation worthy of every morning!

Interesting, as I read your answer I found myself wondering about your opening words,

We all have our own journey in this process and we dare not face it with expectations or distort it with comparisons to others.

I did a little pausing there allowing myself process what you had said there. I felt after re-reading my question and text surrounding it I must give some power to this thought process…

I should be in some form of relationship to other believers in my local area…

I would need to have some premise for that to be a point in my journey that I measure something from and thus the practise of "shoulding on myself beginning… and closely following the yukky practice of looking at others…

Not sure if that is what your meaning or have I taken that sentence out of context?
I have been asking God to show me areas of my thinking that are not helping me and I believe that was one of them even if it was not what you meant.

Gosh I hope my baring of my thought processes makes a little sense it does to me and that is what matters with my personal journey… I suppose :grinning:

I really loved this… and is a worthy prayer to badger Father with…

My hope is that the next generation will have more people living nearby who can help and encourage others on this journey and help people put their dependence on Father rather than try to build ministries to themselves.

Thank you for your closing sentence regards the “Come away I want to show you something.” It’s something I have never doubted that I heard God that day and it is really the real igniter to this journey’s flame if I may term it such. It is great to have that confirmed by one such as yourself whom I have much respect for on this journey.

Yes, Ian, I don’t think engagement with other believers is ever a “should”. The very fact that its an obligation not an outgrowth of love will distort the relationship from the outset. Real friends ENJOY being together and find their load lighter when coming away from a friend. Community is for us to celebrate what God has always known. We were created for connection and in true community we get to taste that. Unfortunately so much of our religious activities give the illusion of community, without the reality. This is about letting him show us what true community can be.