Lifestream Home Lifestream Blog The God Journey (podcast) Finding Church Contact Wayne's Books

Chapter 18: Favorite Quotes

What in this chapter really resonated with your journey and why?

Here are a couple of quotes that stuck out to me:

So when Paul wrote about elders, overseers, or ministry gifts, he’s talking about those who help others mature, not those who manage institutions.

The New Testament teaching and example would resonate more with the word catalyst than leader.

I have noticed for a long time that the Bible said that we should not act as lords over others, and I have hated to see so called church leaders do this very thing… I have thought for some time now that a true leader is simply someone that can give a kind word to others to help them in their life, or in their life’s journey… or someone that shows others God’s love (whether by words, actions, or both). No official titles needed. What ever act of kindness God puts on your heart and gives you a joy to do it, then do it, because that is your “ministry”, or in other words, that’s your catalyst or jumping off point to start showing kindness to others.

Lenny
Bailey, NC (USA)

The Jesus was looking for workers of a different breed–those who have no interest in building a personal following, but simply want to help others find a full and free life in Jesus and to facilitate the opportunities for honest and genuine friendships to grow.

A little on…

People who come alive in the new creation have neither a desire to manage others or be managed themselves. They want to learn to listen to him, respond to him, and help others find that same joy.
So the challenge in the new creation is how to equip people without subduing them–teaching them how to follow him rather than making them dependent on our teaching or programme.

These two quotes alone tell me why I never want to set foot near a religious institution again, well never say never but so long as it’s God’s idea for my life.

Again MrM has hit on another of my dislikes and mentions it above,

I have noticed for a long time that the Bible said that we should not act as lords over others, and I have hated to see so called church leaders do this very thing.

How true…
Even the title Leader brings a label to the table. What we are left with is how will that “Leader’s” ego be effected with that label.
Wouldn’t it be a fine thing if people who did try to direct others could learn a few great words and include them in their vocabulary and see themselves as helpers, (Wayne used them in this passage), Equipping, Facilitating and Overseeing.

I love that word “Facilitate” :- to help… to bring about…
Equipping… :- prepare (someone) mentally for a particular situation or task.
Oversee… :- the dictionary meanings get a little scary moving towards some official post or label here but I like the Merriam-Websters meaning,
1: survey, watch… from his hilltop home he can oversee the river below.
Wayne hit it on the head for me, using the farmers allegory in the chapter…

As overseas in the body of Christ, they don’t see themselves as police–making sure that everyone is doing what they are supposed to–but as farmers looking over the field to see what the crops might need to grow. Where is water needed? Where are weeds choking out growth?

The rest of the chapter is worthy of quoting here under the title “Equipping and Subduing” but is all in the book, as you read it maybe you will hear the music it plays, the music of hope…
Oh I love the 7 pointers listed amongst these words, it’s them that started the music playing in my hopefulness and prayers…

I love the whole ‘catalyst’ idea. I love the seven points, esp. #7, feeding the hungry, not trying to push truth on people, but inviting them into it. I also loved the farmer idea, as opposed to police (Ian quoted it above.) Added to the farmer quote, I loved the gentle idea of being courageous enough to approach someone with false teaching > “in the hopes of showing them a more excellent way…In a relational network, people are honestly treated for who they are, and if they are disruptive, people will continue to love them, though they will refuse to be exploited by them.”

Another one:

“Almost always the need for a smooth program overrides loving the people it is designed to help.”

I want to ask myself, “What is my motivation here?” “How can I love more deeply?” (and I’m convinced THAT only happens with the Holy Spirit’s help. I’m not especially giving and loving on my own.)