Lifestream Home Lifestream Blog The God Journey (podcast) Finding Church Contact Wayne's Books

Chapter 20: Quotes

What in this chapter really resonated with your journey and why?

the answer for loneliness is not being around more people but letting God fill that space in your heart.

This first one really struck me, and it sounds nice to be able to relax and rely on God. I heard another guy say similar things.

It’s not about the meeting, but the people.

I have seen this kind of problem with some house church / organic church groups that were all about the meeting, but weren’t all that good at focusing on loving people and treating people right.

Don’t look for like-minded people, just those he’s asking you to walk alongside. Live that way and you’ll find the church taking shape around you.

It has been interesting when I find people that God obviously wants me to walk alongside…

Lenny
Bailey, NC (USA)

God knows how best to care for you. We find his church by first finding him…

A little later,

Fortunately the answer for loneliness it’s not being around more people but letting god fill that space in your heart. …

God often find it helpful to draw people to himself for a season as they detox from the religious performance and seeking the approval of others. As he builds a life with you, you’ll be free to love others in a way that you will allow healthy friendships to grow.

Wonderfully encouraging to read that as I have often felt I should be doing something more and I felt God say “no I just want you for myself for now.”

What I enjoy doing is coming into my sitting room, taking a seat doing nothing other than just sitting. I don’t read, I don’t do anything but I do ask God to come and enjoy this moment with me. Truth be told it’s more me wanting to enjoy it with Him and it is out of these moments that I find the deepest movement in my heart towards what God is doing in my life.

It was not my idea of ever getting involved with other people again after my cult days but God has changed that to a yearning that is growing deep inside.

“Don’t look to be loved, love! Don’t look for like-minded people, just those he’s asking you to walk alongside. Live that way and you’ll find the church taking shape around you.”

Relaxing into God’s love and His plan for my life has been key for me. He HAS provided those people, and it has been surprising at times. Some of them, I would have chosen myself. Some, I never dreamed I would have such close relationships with. Others, I would NOT have chosen to build relationships with—but God, in His wisdom, has shown me that I really do not always know what is best for me!