Lifestream Home Lifestream Blog The God Journey (podcast) Finding Church Contact Wayne's Books

The Essence of the Gospel

First off, I have a hard time with communicating my opinions and views. But, I feel like I’m a work in progress. I’ve been away from “church” for over 30 years now and have only been on this new Journey for about 10. I still have a long way to go, some days taking a few steps forward, some days a few back. However, I feel the same as others have stated, that the best way for me to share the Gospel or Good News of the Father’s love for me is how I experience it in my life day by day. I have more of a sense of His love for me now than I did 10 years ago in that no matter how I feel or what I do He loves me.

Sue, the Roman Road is a simple gospel presentation using verses from the book of Romans alone:

• All persons are sinners. 3:10 and 3:23
  • Price of sin is death. 6:23a and 5:12
  • God paid that price for us. 5:8 and 6:23b
  • Accept Jesus’ payment for our sin by faith. 10:9-10,13
    It’s a handy outline, but I think it needs to be fleshed out a lot. For starters, we need to tell people more about Christ himself. Salvation is far, far more than escaping hell. Most people have so little understanding of the Bible today that we need to do a lot of teaching as we explain the gospel. God the Father. Jesus’ life, death, burial, and resurrection. Eternal life. Death, eternal separation from the Father. Sin. Atonement. Faith. I think we made a big mistake in the last century when we separated getting “decisions for Christ” from full discipleship. A lot of our evangelism was pretty self-centered.

Beth, thank you and I do agree somewhat. I just didn’t know what the term “Roman Road” meant.

Hi Beth,
Have there been any new developments in your situation for us to pray about?

Bob, thanks for asking! I appreciate that. . . . . . The church wants us out in January. [Don’t know what their rush is; they have torn things up so badly they can’t afford even a bivo pastor now.] Don’t know what we’ll do, yet. Still looking in several directions. Trying to give a few applications some time to work. Covered up in prayer, thankfully. As for fresh thoughts, we are completely stalled out; it’s bewildering. Don’t like being forced to buy a house “out there someplace” just to have a place to land. Seems so final. Hard to deal with so many changes at one time - personally and culturally. I have this constant thought that there is something right under our noses that we are missing, but for the life of me I still don’t know what it is. Have had one real radical idea - but it needs rest before I trot it out. But, I have to admit, the idea of simply getting a place to live and having time to think a fresh thought without all this insanity hanging over our heads is looking better all the time. I’d like to wake up some morning soon and simply know what to do about it all. Thanks!

A ray of hope this morning! So hard to give up on these folks. Just can’t get it done. — The Lord has encouraged another person (who had said it was all over for him) with a word for the former church. He is looking for an opportunity to deliver it. In this context, it is amazing!! I’ll spare you the details; I’d have to write a book. — As frustrated as I am with the ways of ICs, I still think the Lord would receive more glory if there was genuine repentance and healing in this situation. Whether we stay or not. It would be a witness to the whole town that the gospel rescues lost and hurting people. As it stands, the church is just a roadblock right now. I hate what they have done with the “organization,” but we love these people. It would be a wonderful Christmas if they decided to put the Lord first and refuse to be buffaloed by persons who have used them. One of the persons who is staying out (and should) is reading Finding and deeply touched by it. I don’t think IC will be replaced in this small town any time soon, but if a few undercover agents understood what is really needed in the way of genuine relationships in union with Christ . . . .it could make a huge difference! Non-church people have begun opening up to us; they have not been impressed at all by what the church has called a loving fellowship. The church doesn’t realize they are being watched and rejected. If only the church looked like the gospel.